Everyone loves a good hearty pasta dish. It’s cheap, SO versatile, quick and also tasty. I’ve put together this recipe inspired by a pasta dish called the Athletes Pasta we used to have at a place in Claremont. With all this training for the City to Surf I thought what a perfect time to whip this up and not only bring back some great memories but fuel for my runs!
Come check out my City to Surf journey here.
Roasted eggplant is the hero of this dish and as it’s the key ingredient we roast it to bring out the best flavour which makes all the difference! Add some pantry staples and you’ll have a tasty dish on the table which is perfect for meat-free Monday.
- A packet of pasta (I use gluten-free for Autumn)
- Tin of tomatoes (I use the cherry tomatoes as they are slightly sweeter)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1x eggplant
- A small packet of pine nuts
- Ricotta for topping
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a dish with baking paper.
- Slice eggplant into circles, place on a baking tray and spray with oil, salt and pepper and bake for 30 mins or until cooked to your liking.
- Toast pine nuts in a pan until golden brown and fragrant. Set aside.
- Cook pasta as packet instructions.
- Heat up olive oil, cook the garlic and add the tin of tomatoes in a pan. Add about half a cup of pasta water and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When the eggplant is cooked, place it in the bottom of your plate or bowl, top with the pasta, tomatoes and pine nuts. Add some ricotta and season to your liking!
This recipe is so versatile you can add more veggies, make it gluten-free or vegan (replace the cheese). Happy cooking and tag us at @rayne_ella_ if you make it, we’d love to see!
Check out our other most popular recipes here….