Easy, Healthy and Delicious Granola Bar Recipe
After a busy weekend and having a little spare time on Sunday afternoon, I decided to do some cooking to be prepped for the week ahead. I love having yummy, healthy, homemade snacks for the kids to grab when they get hungry and before you go thinking it sounds too hard and fancy, read on, you will be pleasantly surprised.
After raiding the cupboard and seeing what ingredients I had on hand; some nuts, coconut, seeds and oats I decided I would whip up some granola bars. Now, unfortunately, they aren’t suitable for the kiddies to take to school due to the nuts content however they will equally suffice for afternoon tea and tie them (and you) over until dinner.
They are perfect to have for brekky on the go, with your morning coffee or afternoon herbal tea AND you won’t be in the kitchen cooking for hours, you simply mix a few ingredients and chuck it in the fridge!
Now let’s get into these crunchy, superfood and healthy fat snack and I would like to point out here, as long as you keep roughly the same quantity of wet to dry ingredients, you can honestly mix and match with whatever you happen to have lying around in the pantry at home.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup raw smashed almonds (or sunflower seeds)
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 2/3 cup desiccated unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 2 Tbsp almond butter (or another nut or seed butter)
- 1/4 cup honey
- Using a non-stick fry pan (you can also use your oven) toast the oats and almonds on a low heat until lightly toasted.
- Add flaxseed meal, desiccated coconut and sea salt to a large mixing bowl and stir. Set aside.
- Once oats and almonds are toasted, add to the mixing bowl along with mashed dates. I like to process mine the food processor or ninja. Loosely stir to combine and set aside.
- Add almond butter, coconut oil and honey to a small saucepan and bring to a low boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and immediately add to the oat mix.
- Use a mixing spoon or hands to mix thoroughly. I like to get stuck into it with my hands and really smash all the ingredients together with my fingers. The better it’s mixed, the better your bars will turn out.
- Add the mixture to parchment paper in a baking pan (square, big, small whatever you prefer). Press down really well to make sure it’s all packed in.
- Refrigerate immediately.
- Within an hour you will be cutting your delicious bar into whatever size you desire.
They can be stored in an airtight container for 5 days or in the freezer for up to a month!
Let me know if you end up making them and follow @rayne_ella_ for more recipes!
Editor: Rayne Bryant
If you loved this you have to read….